Anuradhapura Central College which is considered as the heart of Anuradhapura is situated in Anuradhapura, the capital city of North Central Province, Sri Lanka. It was established on 21 July 1947 under the initiative of Mr. R.L.N. de. Zoyza in Rathmale area where the Rathmale Tissa Vidyalaya is situated today. It was established on 21 July 1947 under the concept of free education by Dr. C. W. W. Kannangara the Minister of Education at that time. It is among the first 34 Central Colleges. Mr. R L N de Zoysa was the first principal and there were only 7 teachers and 20 students in the school. Later it has been shifted to the present place. School has been promoted to a National School in 1993 at the era of the ex-principal Mr. E R Erathna. During its long journey it has surpassed other leading schools in Sri Lanka and has acquired a prominent place in the education field. Today it has become the most prominent school in North Central Province, Sri Lanka. It has shown its excellence in both academic and in co-curricular activities. Mr. H.M. Abeykoon is the contemporary pioneer of the college and is supported by a staff of 190 teachers who guide student population of 4000. This great academic center has contributed to the nation by producing great people in many fields such as law, politics, education, administration, mass-media and in many entertainment fields.
How Our History Unfolded
A look at the historical events of Anuradhapura Central College, and how they unfolded over the years.